Are you too busy to do yoga?

Saturday, May 21, 2011 by Marianne Elliott

Believe me, I totally get it if you are.

It’s a vicious f-ing cycle, being busy. And I want to help you get off that cycle.

So please, watch this video:

So, here’s the thing. In the time it took you to watch that, we could have done a little yoga practice together.

Shall we do that next time?

I am about to launch my new course “30 Days of Yoga for People Too Busy To Do Yoga” and I really want it to work for you. So let me know what you want me to include. I promise to take your requests into very serious consideration.

And next time we have 8 minutes together, let’s do some yoga, okay?

14 Responses to "Are you too busy to do yoga?"

1. you are so adorable — watching this just makes me miss you more. you KNOW i need some more yoga in my day (i slacked off on that wee routine you gave me… i know 🙁 ) ‘yoga before opening my inbox’ is what i need most. and ‘afternoon yoga to refocus my mind’ would be good too.

I love you xo

• Marianne Elliott says:

Those are both perfect! One ‘yoga before opening my inbox’ and one ‘afternoon yoga to refocus my mind’ coming right up!
      xx
      M

2. Marcela says:

yes, yes, yes I want! I’m looking really forward to this course!

3. Jo says:

Well I mentioned you in my blog post yesterday and now you’re here with the perfect response 🙂
    My issue is that the only time I can semi-regularly find is after my daughter has been put to bed. By which point I’m half asleep myself and it’s only about 2 hours before I have to be in bed too. I’m going to try to get up earlier to do 20-30 minutes but my daughter will be up too and the morning school/work run chaos ensues.
    HELP!
    x

• Marianne Elliott says:

Hi Jo,
      The new course will include 5 and 10 minute practices which you can do in the early morning (waking up 10 minutes before the kids seems more realistic than 30 minutes, right) and in the evening even if you are tired and want to wind down for sleep.
      I think it’ll work really well for people in exactly your situation – partly because I learned from watching what worked for my flatmate who is a single mum.
      x
      M

4. […] Kiwi accent (I am SO going to milk that one for all it’s worth!)? You can watch this video in which I get very excited about proving to you that you are not too busy to do […]

5. claire says:

Great idea, Marianne! I took your words to heart and did some yoga while watching your video. 🙂

I do about 18 minutes of yoga most every day, following an easy routine on an old VHS tape. Heck, it includes ~5 minutes of meditation so it’s very low key.

The biggest hurdle for me was believing this short amount of relatively easy yoga was worthwhile. I kept feeling like I needed to do it longer and more strenuously. Then I read something that made me realize I could push myself with the easy practice if I wanted. Suits me well since I’m not very flexible and I’m more likely to put it off if it’s a longer block of time.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that short bits of yoga are helpful. I’m much more grounded when I start my day with that short routine. It helps me notice tension and call up relaxation more readily.

• Marianne Elliott says:

Hi Claire – thanks so much for sharing, that is a block for lots of people, thinking it’s not worth doing unless they do MORE. I’ll be writing more in the course about the benefits of regular short practices. So glad it works for you!

6. paula says:

I am SO looking forward to this – my issue is finding a place in my house that I can watch the dvd and following along.

• Marianne Elliott says:

Hi Paula,

The videos are all made to be downloaded directly from the internet onto your computer so this course tends to work really easily for people with laptops, iPads or iPhones who can easily move their computer or device to a quiet spot (which might even be out in the garden or in a park). Once you’ve got the hang of the poses (and given these practices are so short and simple that might only take 3 or 4 practices, then you can use just the audio guide, which can easily be put on an mp3 player or iPod and taken anywhere at all – great for traveling!

I hope that helps!

Marianne

7. Ashley says:

Hi Marianne,

a couple of quick yoga options I’d love are:

a quick session to undo sitting in a chair all day

a session to calm the mind and release tension in the shoulders after a crazy day

something to wake me up in the AM

Any adaptations for curvy yogis are appreciated!!

Take Care,
    Ash

• Marianne Elliott says:

Hi Ash,
      Thanks for your feedback! I plan to include a short practice for people who spend to much time at a computer/in a chair, an evening relaxation and a morning energiser so we are on the same track I think! Anna Guest-Jelley of Curvy Yoga is going to be one of the yoga mentors in the forums for this course and I know she has great adaptations, PLUS she’s working with me to create a new online yoga course specifically for Curvy Yogis! So excited about that.
      Thanks,
      Marianne

8. Maria says:

Hello Marianne, I have never done yoga. Never could warm up to it. What do you think? Will this change my mind? Thanks, Maria

• Marianne Elliott says:

Hi Maria,

I’ve sent you an email – but my short answer is that it depends very much on what it was that wasn’t working for you when you tried yoga. It might have been the style, for example, because there are many different aspects of yoga (from the physical poses to the meditative practices) and several different traditions and styles of teaching. If you want to email me with a bit more detail about what you’ve tried and what you think would suit you I can give you my best advice! Thanks,

Marianne
      marianne at marianne-elliott dot com