Yoga and writing: 21.5.800

Friday, June 4, 2010 by Marianne Elliott

A year ago I wrote about the ‘yoga of writing’. I had been feeling totally stuck in my writing, paralyzed by the pressure I was putting on myself to be ‘good’ at writing.

By “by applying a little of what yoga has taught me to my writing”, I was able to “actually enjoy a day of writing again”.

Yoga is, in my humble opinion, a writers best friend.

Yoga hones our ability to pay attention.
Yoga nourishes our natural curiosity.
Yoga reminds us day after day to meet ourselves with kindness (the best antidote I’ve ever found to the paralyzing inner critic)
Yoga moves our body, releases tension in our neck, back, shoulders and wrists.
Yoga teaches us the importance of intention.

So it was is great pleasure that I agreed to put together a special yoga practice for writers to support people who wanted to sign up to the gorgeous Bindu Wiles newest project: 21.5.800

For 21 days, starting next Tuesday 8 June, Bindu and I will be doing 5 days of yoga a week and writing 800 words per day. We’ll be joined by all sorts of fabulous people including Susannah Conway, Danielle La Porte, Kelly Diels, Hiro Boga, Lianne Raymond and Jen Louden. Past and present participants in 30 days of yoga are also signing up for this challenge. It’s a beautiful match and I just love Bindu for thinking of it.

I think this is the perfect compliment to my 30 days of yoga commitment and I’m thrilled to be able to support this community project by offering a special ‘yoga for writers’ video practice for people who sign up for 21.5.800.

If you are already signed up for the 30 days of yoga and want to start 21.5.800 on Tuesday let me know – I’ll make sure I get your video to you in time.

If you are not signed up to 30 days of yoga but you love the idea of the 21 day challenge with Bindu, then you can sign up via her site and then get my special “Yoga for Writers” video for only $30. You get to use the video for the 21 days and then keep it, hopefully continuing to practice yoga to support your creative work and your general well-being!

11 Responses to "Yoga and writing: 21.5.800"

1. Nicola says:

I’m looking forward to both 21.5.800 and 30 days. They’re both exactly what I need right now.

2. leoniewise says:

wicked idea. i just signed myself up. now i’m thinking shit! what have i got myself in for!

🙂

3. Jen Chandler says:

Great idea! I’m going over to check it out now 🙂

Jen

4. kathleen says:

Great! I’ve now signed up for 21.5.800 as well as 30 days of yoga. June is going to be a challenging but rewarding month!

5. Hi Marianne, I just wanted to poke my head out and say hello! I’ve come across your name in about 7 different places in the last few weeks, I think our paths were meant to cross! I LOVE what you are doing, yoga and writing, zen, peace. mmm, what else is there? Thank you for living your passion. I’m signed up for 21.5.800, and can’t wait to “meet” everyone!

• Marianne Elliott says:

Laura – I think you have a very good reason not to sign up this month! Enjoy catching up with your man.

Jane, Leonie, Nicola – I’ll send you your 30 day videos early so you are ready to start the 21 days on Tuesday!

Emme – Thanks so much for your lovely comment! Sounds like our paths were always going to cross, with so many common trails. Glad to be doing the 21 day challenge with you.

Kathleen – good for you! These northern hemisphere peeps are planning a cracking summer, I guess we can look forward to a productive winter huh?

6. Jane says:

Yes! June 8th is my birthday so I am thinking this is meant to be for me. I’m signed up to 30 days of yoga and will be signing up for this to. It’s going to be a cracking summer!

7. laura says:

Oooh would love to sign up but am just going to meet up with my man I haven’t seen for 6 months so I’ll be too busy to participate in it 🙂 would love to eventually though, and also again to join your 30 day yoga session 🙂

8. How do you actually sign up? I wasn’t clear if you just show up. I definitely want to get your little video and participate. I think this is a great idea! xo

9. roseanne says:

hello! i just discovered your blog via bindu wiles and yogagypsy, and i think it’s great. i’ll also be taking part in this challenge and i’m really looking forward to it! bonne chance!

10. […] created a special yoga practice for writers as part of Bindu Wiles wonderful 21.5.800; […]