Best of 2009: Moment of peace

Wednesday, December 9, 2009 by Marianne Elliott

Paekakariki beach

Photo by Swirly

This beach is about three minutes walk from my kitchen table. When I'm stuck in my writing or overwhelmed with the list of things that I 'have' to get done in a day, I sometimes remember to put everything down and walk out the door. If I do, then I arrive on this wild, windswept beach with Kapiti Island in the distance. We are a wee village and during the day it isn't unusual to have the beach to myself. By the time I've walked to the end of the beach and back, about an hour's walk, I usually either found the thread that will unravel my tangled writing or – more often – remembered that it doesn't matter enough to get myself tied up in knots. Actually, I think I better make sure I go for one of those walks today.

12 Responses to "Best of 2009: Moment of peace"

1. TheWordWire says:

What a great post — even those of us who don’t have the beach in our yards can benefit from the reminder to go for a walk. I used to live within walking distance of the ocean, and I miss it terribly sometimes. Being able to smell it when I got out of my car from work was a little moment of peace everyday. Thanks for sharing.

2. mamaAyanna says:

Oh the beach! Please enjoy the walk for many of us! I miss beach walks for the very reason you write about today.
    Hope your outdoors will give you lots of peace in mind again today
    I like your blog A LOT. thanks
    Lilian

3. Tara Bradford says:

I really, really, really want to come visit you and walk on that beach for hours! xo

I am so happy I was able to walk along that beach with you. 🙂

5. Oh, how I envy you. I grew up in a small village on a beach. I never feel more at home than when I’m on the ocean.
    Thanks for sharing this, friend.
    K.

6. i’m with tara. i want to come and walk on the beach (making the trek twice, i think)
    and the photo? adorable. dang, girl.

7. Mel says:

I know what you mean. Serious lack of beach, but the park closeby on a windy day (and we had plenty of those) sweeps away all unnecessary rubbish in my head.
    🙂 love that beach though!

8. asiyah says:

That’s it. I’m moving to New Zealand.
    🙂

9. Emily says:

the only times i really miss my life in nz is when i feel like having my hair whipped around in the breeze that comes from walking along the kapiti coastline. i think i miss the air the most. seeing the profile of kapiti island there really took me back…
    enjoy for us all 🙂

10. a beach three minutes from my kitchen table. wish. swoon. sigh.

11. Di says:

Loved this, linked in a post that explains why I loved it 🙂 Stay well and enjoy your beautiful beach.
    xx