A gift. For you.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 by Marianne Elliott

That’s a picture of me doing yoga in the tiny space between the bed and the desk in my hotel room in Amsterdam in October. I’d just landed after 36 hours of travel and had less than an hour to get to the first session of the conference.

I knew I had time either to have a nap or to do some yoga.

So I did some yoga.

Now I’d hate for you to get the idea that I’m the kind of person who always chooses yoga over other temptations. There are plenty of days when I choose my couch, a glass of wine and some chocolate over time on the mat. And some days that’s a good choice. But often it’s not quite what I really needed and I end up wondering why I don’t just do what I know works – lots of yoga, lots of water, lots of sleep.

So I know as well as anyone how hard it can be to choose to do yoga when you are under pressure. But I also know as well as anyone what a difference it can make even simply to sit still and breath deeply for a few minutes.

That’s why when I found myself getting more and more tired over the past two weeks I knew I needed some very gentle yoga. And why – when I read your comments or tweets or talked to you on the phone – I knew that you needed some very gentle yoga too.

So this morning I hosted my first ever tele-class. A free 30 minute very gentle, easy-breezy, do-it-in-your-chair-if-you-like, no-lycra-needed yoga class.

If you missed it, no worries, you can download the recording now, put it on your iPod and take me and my fabulous Kiwi accent with you wherever you are going to be these holidays. If it all gets to be too much just slip out the back door or into the office, find a comfortable seat and listen along.

I’ve saved the recording and the words to the two meditations I use on the call on a special page here.

Tags: , ,

13 Responses to "A gift. For you."

1. megg says:

I love that picture! Giggle.

This is such a generous gift, thank you for sharing you so freely.

Sending big love to you and looking forward to listening to your voice guide me through the holidays.

xoox

2. Emma says:

I just want to hug you and say thank you for doing this and also for urging me to do it. It helped me so much. After the 30 minutes I took the best nap in recent memory and felt truly relaxed and…loved. Your warmth and generosity really shine through the recording. Thanks, friend. xo

3. asiyah says:

No Way! I woke up in the middle of the night last night and among my musings was for you to do a meditation tape. Of course, I thought you should sell it on itunes. :D

This is exactly what I wanted! Thank you!!!!

4. Mandi says:

Yay, thank you for this! I was signed up for the tele-class, but had issues getting it to work with Skype and ended up not being able to join in. Now I can look forward to listening to it at home tonight!

5. Lisa says:

Weeeeee!!!

SO glad I stopped by here today :)

Thank you!!!

6. thank you so much for this Marianne ~ i’m excited to do this anytime I need to…even when my wee one is asleep beside me!

Peace,
    WRO

7. Anne-Marie says:

thank you so much for this – i can’t wait to go home and download it! i think it will be just what i need as i work right through the christmas season…

wishing you peace, happiness and glorious summer sunshine xx

8. Alys says:

Beautiful, thank you Marianne. Look forward to catching up with you after new years! Aroha. xx

9. susan greene says:

I would love to sign up for your yoga in 30 days class but when I clicked to sign up I got a message which said no longer available. I am praying the class is still available and my computer is acting up. Is it possible to join the class?

• Marianne Elliott says:

Hi Susan,

I’m so sorry but the course is indeed closed and full. If you’d like early notice about registration for future courses you can join my mailing list in the right hand side bar of this page.

Namaste,

Marianne

10. Cheryl says:

I started downloading your file ans then stopped – it was taking ages as it was over 30 MB ! Anyway you can zip it or reduce the size for a quicker download ?

• Marianne Elliott says:

Hi Cheryl,

I’ll ask my amazing video/audio ninja (also known as my boyfriend) if he can help me reduce the size of this file. He’s been crazy busy lately so I created this file all by myself, which I was very proud of but which also means it may not be in the optimum format!

Best,

Marianne

11. Marina Talanova says:

Hi Marianne,
    I am glad I stopped at your website. And, yes, I downloaded your yoga class, started to listen and…had an urge to take a nap. Was it the sound of your voice? I am going to give at a second try.
    Btw, your blog is amazing, and I am sure, the new book will be too.
    Thanks a lot!