Your help needed!

Monday, September 21, 2009 by Marianne Elliott

In the next three days I’ll be visiting eight schools and talking to hundreds, maybe thousands, of children about why books and reading are awesome. I did the same thing last year and had a great time. It’s all organized by ‘Duffy Books in Homes’ a not-for-profit that gives books to children in low income schools. I’m one of Duffy’s ‘heroes’ which is one of the best job titles I’ve ever had!

Anyway, I’m working on my pitch and need your help. If you had the chance to talk to all these kids about books and reading, what would you tell them?

Your help needed!

9 Responses to "Your help needed!"

1. Andi says:

That it’s a great way to escape reality at times, because they can completely lose themselves in another world. 🙂
    GOOD LUCK–what an awesome project!!!

2. ash says:

books take you to the places you dream of going…

3. Anne-Marie says:

Dear Marianne. Here’s my thought on books and reading. My favourite books are like really good friends. Just like a friend you want to spend time with them, not once, but many times. But people, while they’re wonderful, can let you down: books don’t. I have books I enjoyed when I was ten and I still enjoy them. Other books I’ve outgrown.
    I hope you can make some thing of that.
    And good on you for taking part in the programme. I’ve seen the kids react to Duffy Books and it’s fantastic. And you definitely are a hero!
    Arohanui, Anne-Marie

4. Tammy Petro says:

(delete if this posts twice)
    This is her kingdom, and these are her lives. http://osocio.org/message/this_is_her_kingdom_and_these_are_her_lives/#When:17:35:01Z
    English Transcript of the video above:
    This girl has eaten a poisoned apple and has survived
    Has had coffee with a mad hatter
    and has been a princess locked in the tower of a castle.
    This girl has been a pirate that traveled the seven seas
    searching for treasures,
    and while her ship was sinking
    she ran amongst the bullets to fire the cannons.
    This is her kingdom
    and these are her lives.
    Make them yours
    (open a book)
    Transcript of the video below:
    This boy has travelled to the bottom of the sea without a submarine
    Has seen the vampires suffer
    and has conquered some planets in his spaceship.
    This boy… has been a despot king
    that rode the hills in his brave black horse
    and while his army was fighting against giants and thieves
    he was commanding the action from the hills
    This is his kingdom
    and these are his lives
    Make them yours
    (open a book)

I’d say that words are powerful; they have the ability to transform your life; to encourage great, imaginative ideas and positive thinking; to travel via an armchair and dream about possibilities for your future.

6. asiyah says:

Not only did books give me a chance to travel to new worlds, meet new people and experience thrilling adventures, they helped me find my place in the world. I felt more comfortable in my own skin when reading about others. I knew that other places existed and others had the same angst I had, and still made something of themselves.
    I love books.

7. Kara-Leah says:

I love books too!
    What a wonderful way to spend some time…
    Books when I was a kid were all about escaping into other worlds and seeing possibilities open up.
    Plus I think subliminally all the fairy tales I read laid down an internal sense of “how the world works” – based around the Quest, and Tests, and Challenges, and Tricksters, and Heros…

8. Lisa says:

I like all of the above comments….to them I might add:
    That we are each the main character in our own book (our life story) and WE get to be the author (and perhaps illustrator), too! What kind of story do we want to write today?
    Keeping in mind that we are also minor characters in other people’s books…so how would want THAT story to read, with us included?

I would say books can show them all that is possible and help them discover their own passions. How lucky they are to be inspired by you!